Sunday, May 8, 2011

I give up, California

I've tried and I've tried to write about my trip to California. From the moderate amount of time there, I formed some very strong opinions, but I haven't been able to express them clearly. Then I thought, fuck it, I'm lazy, let's go on Youtube.

Let's allow some music written about SF and LA to speak for itself. Feel free (to all .5 of you that read this) to point out that I picked songs which validate my point, being that SF WAS the bastion of enlightened American life. That was many lifetimes ago and what is left is a city that prides itself on being better than every other city (especially LA), but which embodies just as much superficiality and wealth. Where LA has Maserati's and small dogs in Fendi bags (or whatever's trendy. If it's not from Village de Valeur, I don't know it), SF has trips to study meditation in Burma and small dogs in Lululemon bags. Both lifestyles are in the same economic bracket, and I can promise you no one in SF lives in a mansion because they recycled enough cans to live in Russian Hill. LA can be gross, but it doesn't pretend to be anything other than that, and I appreciate a city that recognizes it faults and just rolls with it. Quite literally, as I believe cars outnumber people.

San Francisco:



[Though this dude has an AMAZING mustache. Points for that]




Los Angeles: (for the record, LA radio stations overdo this very exercise by playing ONLY songs which mention LA in the lyrics, most frequently "LA Woman" by The Doors. I refuse to post that since I think it might negate my "cool" argument)












No comments:

Post a Comment